Jessie Taylor BA(Hons) LLB(Hons) MSc(HA) first signed the roll of counsel in 2011, winning the Daniel Pollak Readers’ Pro Bono Award for pro bono work in her first six months at the Bar. Jessie enjoyed a broad and thriving practice in public, civil and criminal law before stepping away in 2016 to take up a role as Public Defender (Civil Justice) at Victoria Legal Aid Chambers, and subsequently Associate Director of VLA Chambers.
She returned to the Bar in March 2021 directly from a contract as Director, COVID-19 Legal in the Victorian Department of Health (Regulatory, Risk, Integrity and Legal Division), where she has worked in the Directions, Advisory and Strategy team, with a particular emphasis on and interest in interpretation and application of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, and the operation of the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 in Victoria’s pandemic response.
She is a member of the Australian and New Zealand Association of Psychiatry, Psychology and the Law (ANZAPPL) and the Australian Institute of Administrative Law (AIAL).
Jessie is a Director of Donkey Wheel, and a former President of the Victorian Council for Civil Liberties (Liberty Victoria) (2016-2019). She is co-creator of the documentary Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. She speaks Hazaragi and French.
Jessie accepts briefs to advise and appear across a range of matters, including:
- Public and administrative law generally
- Civil litigation generally
- Coronial inquests
- Human rights & matters involving the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006
- Discrimination & matters under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010
- Health law including mental health & compulsory treatment, COVID-19 & public health law matters, disability & mental impairment (including matters under the Mental Health Act 2014, the Guardianship and Administration Act 2019, and the Crimes (Mental Impairment and Unfitness to be Tried) Act 1997)
- Supervision and detention order proceedings under the Serious Offenders Act 2018
- Common law & personal injury
- Appeals including merits review and judicial review
- Class actions
- Disciplinary and professional Tribunals
- Suppression and pseudonym orders
If you would like to discuss briefing Jessie in a type of matter that is not listed above, please do not hesitate to get in touch with Jessie or her clerk.